Dr Malcolm McKellar
B.Optom, BHB, MBChB, FRANZCO
Cataract and refractive surgeon
Eye specialist, diseases of the anterior and external eye
Dr McKellar is an eye specialist. He is the only person in New Zealand trained as both an ophthalmologist (specialist in eye disease and eye surgery) and optometrist (specialist in glasses and contact lenses).
- Specialty training - Christchurch, Dunedin and Auckland, New Zealand
- Subspecialty training - Jerusalem, Israel, and Manchester, England
- Routine and complicated cataract surgery, including toric and multifocal intraocular lenses
- Corneal disease and transplantation including lamellar corneal grafting
- Laser correction of refractive error - LASIK and PRK
- Surgical correction of refractive error - phakic intraocular lenses and refractive lens exchange
- Surgery and chemotherapy of conjunctival tumours
- Surgery of tumours of the iris
- Pterygium surgery
- Medical management of disease affecting the eye surface - dry eye, allergic conjunctivitis and blepharitis
Positions currently held
- Past president, Cornea and Contact Lens Society of New Zealand, a society of 562 members
- Consultant ophthalmologist, Dr Malcolm McKellar Ltd, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Visiting ophthalmologist Southland DHB, Queenstown
- Visiting surgeon, Christchurch Eye Surgery, Christchurch
- Visiting surgeon, St Georges Hospital, Christchurch
- Visiting surgeon, Laservision Eye Clinic, Christchurch
- Lecturer, General Practice Training Program, Christchurch
- Member, PHARMAC Ophthalmology subcommittee
- Reviewer, Eye section, New Zealand Formulary
Positions previously held
- Visiting ophthalmologist, West Coast District Health Board, Greymouth, New Zealand
- Consultant ophthalmologist, Christchurch Eye Department
- Clinical lecturer, Christchurch School of Medicine
- Lecturer and examiner, Auckland School of Optometry
- Fellow, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmology
- Member, Cornea and Contact Lens Society of New Zealand (past president)
- Member, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Member, Australasian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Member, European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- 2010. First New Zealander to implant a Cachet® phakic intraocular lens.
- 2008. NZ Health Innovation Award for managment of patients requiring cataract surgery.
- 2008. Developement of NZ allogeneic serum eyedrop program.
- 2007. Awarded honary Paul Harris fellowship by Rotary
- 2007. First New Zealander to implant a Verysise® phakic intraocular lens.